Week Five : Witches

I wouldn't say that I'm a HUGE fan of witches, but I do enjoy them within literature and television. I gravitated towards reading the WitchCraft (1994) comics this week due to the fact that the linework reminded me so much of The Dark Crystal comics. I’ve only read the first graphic novel but I plan on reading the next two.


Often times, within films and readings, the archetype of a witch is an ‘ugly’ woman with a flying broomstick, pointy hat, black clothing, and the ownership of a black cat, owl, crow, toad, or other animal companion. Simply put, witches are women who participate in natural practices to achieve magic. A pattern I often see in stories centered around witches is a theme of revenge towards men who are afraid of strong women. In addition, witches almost always perceived as wicked entities; worshipers of evil. I believe this comes from a male fear of female empowerment; the escape from society’s misogynistic tendencies and the unlocking of sexuality.


Even today, great shame is brought upon women who are proud of their sexualality; sexual liberation. Witches are used as a model of sex positivity. The author of WitchCraft alludes to this cultural issue. Faith Armatage, the protagonist, states this after the realization that she would always be seen as less than in her society. 


“I see my life meaningless. Without worth. Like any other… All other women in this wretched world. This world of men.” (WitchCraft, Volume 1)


These coming of age stories draw in young girls with the expectation of indepence and the hopes of growing up in a world where they can be leaders, if they wish to be.


BY THE WAY, Kiki's Delivery Service directed by Hayao Miyazaki, was an enjoyable watch that I'm hoping to continue if I'm able to find the film online. 
.....
Here is a list of some other witch-inspired readings/shows/movies/musicals that I like: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix, The Owl House on Disney, Wizards of Waverly Place on Disney, Once Upon a Time on ABC, Crumbs on Webtoon, Little Matcha Girl on Webtoon, Brimstone and Roses on Webtoon, The Wizard of Oz, Wicked, Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters, The Blair Witch Project, Into The Woods, Dark Shadows, The Crucible, the Halloweentown series, Twitches, Paranorman, The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Lone on Webtoon, Scary Godmother, AND finally, Hocus Pocus.

Comments

  1. I agree that witches were originally, and still are, perceived as women with power and freedom. Witches in media nowadays are less frowned upon and have become a great symbol in female empowerment. I’m excited to see how witches will be portrayed 20 years from now. (And thank you for providing a list of recommendations!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week Six : Fantasy

Week Nine: The Final Frontier/Space Opera